Breast augmentation surgery involves increasing the breast size with implants or fat. It is also called as augmentation mammoplasty. It does not help sagging breasts which may need breast lift.
Causes of lesser breast tissue:
- Naturally smaller breasts
- Weight loss
- Removal of breast lumps
- Mastectomy for breast cancer
Types of implants:
1. Saline breast implants: These are filled gradually with saline after insertion.
2. Silicone breast implants: These are filled with silicone gel. These have a feel like that of a natural breast.
3. Gummy bear breast implants: These are shaped implants. The shape is maintained even if the implant leaks.
4. Fat transfer breast augmentation : Fat is taken from other body sites via liposuction and injected into the breast. It gives a natural appearance. Mostly used for small increase in breast size .
2. Infection: May require removing the implant
3. Change in implant position
4. Implant leakage or rupture: May need removal and revision surgery
5. Persistent pain
6. Damage to sensory nerves in the nipples and breast
7. Fibrosis around the implant